The whole structure is now complete, the logs placed above the gateway being the final addition.
I then went round each individual palisade log and made sure PVA glue was in the cracks between each of them. This will give the structure even more rigidity.
At this point all the glue is drying outside in the warmth.
A pretty small fort, but at a foot square, it will be more than big enough for my table.
I gave the palisade walls two coats of Mocha acrylic paint and then dry fitted some balsa pieces to make a building with two rooms. Commanders quarters and officers mess perhaps.
Painted the doors blue and the walls grey. Also scored the walls to look like boards/planks.
A roof from very thin balsa upon which, I scored the tiles and added a couple of stove pipes. The roof is removable, but is quite fragile, so I may end up having to make a one from thicker material.
Peering in through the gateway, you can just make out the boarding on the building.
I may add another building along one side, not sure yet. I also want to place some planking or similar outside the building(s). The rest of the base will need to be textured to resemble packed earth, plus of course I need to build and fix a pair of gates. So far, this project has cost me less than £2, I had to buy another two packs of garden plant sticks, which I cut down for the palisade.