Saturday, 26 March 2016

Update on what I have been doing.

I realised that it has been ten days since I posted here on the blog. I have not been idle during that time and have a few photographs to show what has been taking up my time. With the completion, for the moment, of the Wars of the Roses project, the War of the Three Kingdoms or English Civil War project, has been resurrected. The Montrose Irish and a unit of Scottish Covenanters have been completed and the final unit of Highlanders is currently on the painting board.





This is the box set from Warlord games, with four casualty figures and a few other figures added. All are metal and are about 80% complete. They will make a great warband to add to the army of Montrose.


Mixed dress and weapons as you would expect, I have some ink pens to apply the tartan at the very end.



A piece of old carpet tile, which I had put away for future use was cut up into rectangles and made into crop or ploughed fields. The usual method of painting the tile, which was a ruby red colour with Mocha acrylic paint to tone it down. Then PVA glue applied to attach the clump foliage around the perimeter and a mix of PVA/water liberally spread to allow flock representing crops on the tiles themselves. The whole thing then was sprayed with hair lacquer and left for about three days to thoroughly dry. They turned out pretty good I think.




Of course my consignment of trees also received some basic treatment. Various sizes and shapes, all were glued onto pennies and flocked, again given a generous coating of hair lacquer to hold everything in place. You can see for yourself how many there are in the containers, with almost another 100 still to be done!




I only ordered one packet of these trees, but they really are excellent and are of a size suitable for my 28mm troops. I will be ordering more packets of these,(they come in tens). I also gave them MDF bases with some rocks, flock and flowers.


The whole lot laid out, so I now have plenty of terrain especially for 6mm but also some can be used for 28mm.



I really did need a shed load of trees to create realistic looking battlefields for my 6mm American Civil War. Trees tended to be in great abundance on most battlefields. This little lot, added to what I already have, should do the job nicely.

10 comments:

  1. great stuff Ian i do like the highlanders some great colours the fields and trees or should i say forest will work great top stuff my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers buddy, you can never have too many trees lol, I sure needed to be able to recreate a forest or two. The little bits of carpet tile were and experiment that turned out quite well.

      Delete
  2. Excellent work Ian. Your tree collection is magnificent. I'm trying to catch up. I actually had to put my trees a side for a bit and start painting some men. I just felt like I was never going to finish the terrain piece because every time I turned around I had more trees to base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy, I know exactly what you mean about trees, only I was in the reverse position, I had lots of figures but not many trees, sorted now though I think.

      Delete
  3. PERFECT! I really like those fields you did. I may make a few like that myself. Your battles are going to look awesome with all the added colors and scenic. Great work Ian.

    Talks soon,

    ~Kurtus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kurtus, I stole the field idea from you actually lol. but they do look good. I really needed all those trees for the 6mm ACW.

      Delete
  4. Awesome! Really like the look of the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rodger, a bargain buy from China, £34 GBP included shipping which took eight days from ordering, brilliant service. I am setting up a table for First Bull Run at the moment, so the trees will see their first service over the coming days.

      Delete
  5. Good, you found my blog, I hope you find lots you like.

    ReplyDelete